Closer (Twisted Coord Mix) - (Nine Inch Nails Cover)

Started by Coordman, July 02, 2011, 12:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coordman

Keeping a promise to Zodiac, here. This is a song that I've held back for a little while, partly because I think the mix might be a little bit... I don't know what the word might be... eccentric? I kinda took the framework of the original and threw whatever I thought might sound cool at it a'la Jackson Pollack to see if it would stick. What I ended up with is a mishmash of synth, overdrive guitar, pizzicato strings, and synthesized wind effects. I also tried, and ultimately failed, to get the synth lead in the chorus to sound right, so I scrapped it entirely. I've been wanting to find a multitrack of the original so I could place the vocals into the mix but, alas, it doesn't seem to exist. Also, just so you know, I DID sample the iconic snare sound for this track, but everything else is original.

Anyway, I hope you all like.

Ooh, as an after thought, this is the first track I've managed to record strictly digitally in it's entirety. I happened to remember that my PC has a digital S/PDIF input built onto the motherboard and, somewhat of a surprise to me, I can record from it through the software that came bundled with my Soundblaster X-FI Fatality card. True digital, baby!  ;D
Never sweat the petty things and never pet the sweaty things. -George Carlin

DreadSpawn

ok that simple beat is kicking arse, the mix is actually very inspiring. LUUUVV that base around the 1 10 mark! Then the change shortly after is haunting, but funky man! catchy as hell.
Life can be hard sometimes. We all need an outlet, whether it be sex, speeding, violence or creation. I chose creation. Enjoy  .http://www.youtube.com/user/DreadSpawn2142?feature=mhum

ZoDiaCMaSSaCrE

when i played this track yesterday while playing Unreal Tournament 3, i could not stop listening to it.  U FUCKIN NAILED DIS TRACK DUDE (no pun intended).  everything sounded perfect, but i really luved that chime sound that comes in at 0:43, that bass at 1:10, and that piano riff at 5:01. like wat dreadspawn said..."catchy as hell".  i had to put this on repeat and just let it play over and over again.  nice work coordman.

Koolassjoe

The One and Only, Koolassjoe

www.facebook.com/Koolassjoe
www.myspace.com/koolassjoebeats

www.showcaseyourmusic.com/Koolassjoe
www.gimmesound.com/Koolassjoe
www.soundclick.com/koolassjoe

www.youtube.com/koolassjoe
www.animemusicvideos.org/search/quick.php?criteria=Koolassjoe

Coordman

Wow, those are some pretty great compliments. Guess the mix is not as weird as I had thought. Thanks everyone!  ;D
Never sweat the petty things and never pet the sweaty things. -George Carlin

ArcaneFuture

No weirder than some of Reznor's own remixes!
Seriously, though, this is excellent - surprising close to the feel of the original, but with your own mark - great job!
DJ Gift / ArcaneFuture

www.soundcloud.com/arcanefuture