Skipping and guitar sounds

Started by Not a Number, March 21, 2008, 04:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not a Number

1)
As I run Music 2000 from ePSXe 1.6.0, whenever I record the audio through Audacity, the framerate on the emulator gets all messed up, going between 30 and 60 FPS every so often. This results in the audio skipping and can really get annoying when I record, especially when I want to record vocals afterwards. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of RAM (a measly 256MB) andI one an onboard graphics card (though I have found an old graphics card, but whether ePSXe can run under DirectX 7 (as the graphics card is able to run upto, even though my PC has v9.0c) is beyond me so far, as we can't find the install disc for the card.
Is there any other way I am able to record from ePSXe without the audio skipping? I usually have both Audacity and ePSXe minimized when I am recording. I've tried upping the Priority of both of them in Windows Task Manager (I use WinXP SP2) but that resulted in huge system slowdowns.

2)
If my songs Pentanol 1.250 and N.M.C.C.? (Music 2000 remix) were anything to go by, how would I be able to get a decent sounding guitar sample? I'm looking for one similar to the one used in MadnessXXI's songs. So far, I haven't experimented with reverb or note effects, so I'm assuming if I play around with that, I might get a decent sound.

DJ_Omnimaga

Usually what I do for max speed is:

-Reboot your computer
-Close all chatting programs (mIRC, X-Chat, Trillian, MSN, etc.) or internet browsers  if you have them set to start up with windows.
-Disable your anti-viruses
-If possible, disable softwares that search for updates automatically on a regular basis
-Afterward open Audacity, then ePSXe, but don't start MTVMG/Music2000 right away.
-Set up your windows so you can see both softwares windows at once. This is important cuz if you switch between them after doing the following by clicking on the taskbar buttons it will freeze literally for like 2 minutes.
-Now Set up both softwares to high priority.
-Start ePSXe emulation, go to your song and all.
-Now go back to audacity by clicking on the window and start recording.
-IMPORTANT! You must minimize Audacity window, because just the track graphic showing up on Audacity takes precious ressources. Hiding it will improve performance.
-Now click on ePSXe window and start playing your song. Don't close the window, keep focus on it and do nothing else. Altough it worked for me almost all the times sometimes I still needed a few tries until I get absolutely no skipping at all. But it worked pretty well in overall. Keep in mind I have a 2.93 GHz computer (not dual/quad core though) with 1 GB RAM.
-Now when you finished, press Esc in epsxe, then stop recording in audacity.

I hope this works for you. Else I am afraid you may need a better PC :(

Not a Number

Wow, I just recorded one of my longer mixes as a test (Infinity pt 1; 8:20) and it ran really smoothly! It only went as low as 48FPS for a split second, but it didn't skip at all! Thanks!
(Now I have to rerecord vocals :P ._.)