A question about metal.

Started by Gorex, February 22, 2009, 12:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gorex

Hi everyone, I'm new here... Glad to see there's so many Generator enthusiasts!

I have a quick question for you: What types of samples do you use to make rock/metal tracks? Filters and such? I've been trying to come up with a nice metal guitar sound for years and I haven't managed to find a mix I like. I've heard some amazing stuff on here, and I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong, lol...

stonecold

Hey Gorex, nice to have u here. I must admit i dont make rock tracks but 'Zapphnath' does. Im sure he could give you some good advice, his stuff is very good.
I'd rather be a nobody, than a somebody who 'nearly' made it.
http://uk.youtube.com/user/wdivi

Gorex

Thanks, glad to be here (although posting in the wrong forum on my first post was quite embarassing... >_>)! I've uploaded a couple of warm-up songs so you guys can check me out, nothing like I used to do on Generator but it's been a couple of years. Gotta' work that laziness out of me, know what I mean?

zapphnath

Thanks, StoneCold, but, to be honest, it's been years since I've done anything with the Generator.  I don't think I can even remember how I may have done the songs I've done, other than whatever info I may have posted in the thread, itself.  I do believe that I used "Monster" for my kick drum, most of the time.  Beyond that...??

Welcome to TIMGUL, Gorex.

Gorex

I've been using Monster in my warm-up period and really like it, I think I used to use Gated for my kickdrum when I was making Generator music a while back. Also, thanks Zapphnath, glad to be here.  :)

Sacred Virgo

hi gorex, welcome.
about creating rock music with music geneator i would like to say this: in my humble opinion our beloved software is simply inadequate to simulate a good, realistic sound of a real guitar. it doesn't depend on your ability or experience. the guitar is probably the most complex instrument which a software can emulate, so it's not a matter of 'good combinations' of guitar string samples with the most appropriate effect.
as for the emulation of the real sound of the drums i think that music generator is pretty good, especially music 3000, which has very good samples that are not included in the previous games. for the kickdrum, i recommend gated and mid wet. for the snare i recommend chunky, splashy, rock hat. for the cymbals i recommend dribble, crrashed, classic crash, crashespect, megacym, rideithigh, rideitlow. the hihats are not that important, there are a lot which can be used. for the toms i recommend acoustic, big wet, dry, gate tom 2

Gorex

Thanks JCW and Shellshaka, as you can see I'm certainly glad to be here.

I have a set of drums that I use(d) regularly that consisted of gated for the kick, chunky for snare, classic crash cymbals, whatever hats I find appropriate, and dry for the toms. I rarely ever used anything else, but like I said before monster is growing on me. Sad to say I haven't experimented with much anything else, I'm a stubborn guy that likes familiarity in some ways. Besides, it's nice to have a sound that identifies your work and what you're all about if you ask me.

JCW

Rock hat is amazing, love that snare more than 909 1 now.