audacity

Started by pillagemyvillage, February 26, 2008, 06:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pillagemyvillage

i have audacity on my computer but no idea on how to use it!
i understand you can convert you recordings to mp3?
i use 'easycap' and windows movie maker to capture my music. can i then use audacity to convert the file to mp3 and improve sound quality?  

Not a Number

Audacity is actually very easy to use. Although if you're working with Windows Movie Maker, it's not going to work.
Although I won't be proviing screenshots, I don't know if this'll make the answer more useful. (and plus I don't use easycap)

In Windows Movie Maker, export the video as normal, then get GoldWave. (don't worry, it may be shareware but you can use program as long as you want)
Then import the .WMV file into GoldWave and Export it as an mp3 there.

DJ_Omnimaga

Or just press record in Audacity and play the WMV file while it's recording. This will rip the audio from the file. You can even do this with Youtube videos.

When recording make sure it's in Stereo Output mode tho, not phone, microphone or any of this

Not a Number

True, true, but there is a risk of the audio skipping whilst being played and recorded.

DJ_Omnimaga

yeah I have this happen sometimes in MUsic 2000 when emulated on PS1 emu

I have to close antivirus, all chat programs and browsers, and I need to set both Audacity and Epsxe superior to normal or higher priority in CTRL+ALT+DEL/Processes else it lags

147 crew

So if I make a vid, then record with audacity under project, new stereo track then that will be mp3 in stereo YES!? i'm soooo stupid I only just noticed it says mono in the recording box whilst recording..open my eyes I would be dangerous

Not a Number

Provided your songs make use of the stereo (like say you have hihats on the left speaker), then it'll record both speakers.
But as I said, GoldWave doesn't need to record; it extracts the audio in the video and you can mp3 it there.

147 crew

Got some time to mess around with it so will have a play..lovin'

147 crew

hey..so I loaded up a tune into audacity,(an mp3,) it says mono in the audio track box..opened up a stereo track box below it,(under project.) Not sure what to do next? Recorded a vid into audacity aswell through 1 speaker option..clicked on audio track, left channel..is that how you get stereo? 'cos when i played it back it only came through the 1 speaker! Am I just dumb or what.. So frustrating, all I need to do is drag the tune into the stereo box below surely? Cool, just clicked on spectrum..looks funky..tee hee
So I click on the audio track box, it has an option to "make stereo track" but thats not highlighted..GRRRrrrr

If you can help me out that would be GRRRRRrrrrreat

147 crew

So maybe if I just look through the contents it would help..haha

Or not..I just made it crash..

YAY, I did it..finally, I had to upload the tune twice into the same screen, then just put 1 through left channel 1 through right channel, then "make stereo track" and it now says Saigon STEREO!!! yipee!!!

pillagemyvillage

ok could someone give me the step by step idiots guide to it all!?  :lol:
i have recorded my tune with windows movie maker...
i open up audacity...
then what!? how do i record my tune into mp3 format?

147 crew

I can tell you what I do, but I don't have movie maker so dunno if it helps? I plug that 3.5mm cable into my stereo and p.c, (explained elsewhere on site,) then this is the tricky part the volume of the input into audacity. In the box above the blank part make sure thats on microphone then play your tune and hit record, but do some tests first, (they say you have to keep the waves from going outside the lines,) but when I tried to record sounds from my videos it always distorts badly so I just record straight from the playstation..load up game then play the tune from there and do the same thing, (microphone, record.) I normally listen to the tunes on my stereo say volume 60 is a thumping sound, but I record into audacity at 31 max, I don't have gold plated wires either so if you do maybe record lower than that..you just have to play around with it..then trim the ends and export as mp3..also the microphone symbol next to the microphone box is set at input volume 0.8..

long explanation- It says mono track, so save your tune as mp3 and start a new window and load it up twice, pan one to the left and one to the right and the box where you name your tune has the option to "make stereo track" so hit that..delete the old mp3 file and save this one..that should be it..I'm an idiot and I did it so have fun with it, look forward to a speedy download  :D

I haven't seen any mp3s yet so I assume you haven't done it yet, ask the main man to clarify if i've just rambled on and confused everything  :blink:  

pillagemyvillage

many thanks to all who replied...
not a number recommended goldwave... it worked easily for me...
if anyone else has trouble check out goldwave (also free to use).

Not a Number

To record in Stereo:

1) Go to Edit >> Preferences (note: depending on the version you have, this might be in File >> Preferences. Alternatively, just hit CTRL+P.)
2) In the "Audio I/O" tab (this should already be shown), click on the drop down menu next to "Channels" and select "2 (Stereo)"
3) Record and export as normal.
4) ???
5) Profi-*shot*

147 crew

Is that a description for goldwave?? Think I may try it out 'cos audacity into stereo get some weird background noises..not lovin'

pillagemyvillage

yeah goldwave is very easy to use! give it a go!

147 crew

In response to post dated 27th FEB from DJ Omnimaga..YO! ERM so you wrote

"When recording make sure it's in Stereo Output mode tho, not phone, microphone or any of this"

How do I do that when my input for sound is through the microphone on my stereo speakers? Plug the lead directly into my computer?? Don't have the knowledge to take it apart and fiddle with sound card..

Still causing me a problem!!

DJ_Omnimaga

well if you're recording from a stereo system, tv or directly from playstation you have to set audacity to record in microphone mode

147 crew

Oh ok, solves that issue..will persevere then  :D