Need Help with note repeat/reverb&Filters

Started by Irndemon, December 05, 2008, 03:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irndemon

When in the note repeat box that is just under the am channell(wavy box).If you then press up on the d pad you can then highlight the>>3 just above where you place the note repeats.If you then press X(playstation),you can make this turn red ???..........................Does anyone Know what this does?
There is so much still to learn!!!Also an in depth tutorial on the various filters and what changing each adjustable setting does would be great!! Ive used the filters before and created some pretty descent bass sounds,Ive also used the reverb filter on some vocal samples with a depth of 300 somthing,then reversed the sample and it gave a ghost like sound similar to the sound that you hear in prodigy-fire starter at the start of the vocals.But would be great to know how to use these properly.

Irndemon

Ok, Maybe im pushing the boat out a bit too far asking for an in depth tutorial on filters.Though if we share what we do know about them then we can all gain a deeper understanding of them.

stonecold

Yeah id like to know more on that note repeat thing. Im gonna have a delv into it later....

That vocal effect ur asking about is simple to achieve and sounds amazing when used in small amounts.
Its the same principle whatever music programme u use.

First trim up the vocal sample to last say one silable(or experiment with a whole word),but make sure u leave about a half second silence before the sample actualy starts,this is very important.Go into the sample editor and reverse the sample. Then add some reverb(try various length/depth settings) Then reverse it back again. You will then have a swelling sound that leads up to ur vocal.

Best use iv heared lately is on 'Flux' by 'Bloc party'
sshhhhhhhwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwWWWWWWW We need to talk!

Good stuff.
I'd rather be a nobody, than a somebody who 'nearly' made it.
http://uk.youtube.com/user/wdivi

Irndemon

Cheers :DThanks for the tip!The first time i tried the reverse reverb vocal effect i didn't reverse it first,I've just tried it again but had to load any sample that lasts one second or more,take this to the sample editor,then paste the vocal sample which i had in the copied sample area buffer on the end of the random sample,then i silenced the start of the sample up to where the vocal sample starts using the ADSR settings.Done this so i could have a 1 second gap at the start.I then reversed it,Applied the reverb filter,Then reversed it again. Sounds Great!!!And doesn't take up a considerable amount of memory either!!!.......Just need to work on tweaking the reflection settings for the filter....COOL EFFECT!!
ssssssssssnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTThanks again ;D

Still haven't figured out that>>3note repeat thing yet ???

oldie

Quote from: Irndemon on December 05, 2008, 03:07:50 PM
When in the note repeat box that is just under the am channell(wavy box).If you then press up on the d pad you can then highlight the>>3 just above where you place the note repeats.If you then press X(playstation),you can make this turn red ???..........................Does anyone Know what this does?
There is so much still to learn!!!Also an in depth tutorial on the various filters and what changing each adjustable setting does would be great!! Ive used the filters before and created some pretty descent bass sounds,Ive also used the reverb filter on some vocal samples with a depth of 300 somthing,then reversed the sample and it gave a ghost like sound similar to the sound that you hear in prodigy-fire starter at the start of the vocals.But would be great to know how to use these properly.
lots of numbers little differance

Irndemon

yeah,I kinda get ya.The filters dont make much difference when you adjust the settings,Too many numbers!!
Still,Does anyone know what that little section of the note repeat box does.The bit with two arrows pointing right followed by a number three ?

Btw I have recently been using fl studio,But i will definitely still be using m2k because its just so simple to use!!!And i like the samples and the way the envelope settings work in it and overall sound that the programme produces.And i can just turn on the old graystation,And after a few hours of tapping buttons on the pad,I have a great sounding track!!Too much fun to be ignored!!!!!  :D

Irndemon

:) Ok i've just been messing about with the >>3 note repeat thing.

I made a string of triplet snares 3 snares to every beat using the "Creating Swing [triplet] Rythms In MUSIC 2000/MTV MUSIC GENERATOR" topic as a guide.http://www.mtv-music-generator.com/index.php?topic=1296.msg7601;topicseen#new(placing a note in every triplet)

The first four bars i used the >>3 note repeat setting on every note

The second four bars i didn't use the >>3 note repeat setting

When i played them back there was a noticable difference in timing between the first four bars and the second four bars

Also i've noticed that if you have the >>3 note repeat setting turned on you cant place a note repeat in the last 2 boxes of the grid.

Any theories as to why this is and what it actually does,Could it move the note repeat forward 0.3? What do you think?

Im kinda on a mission to make a mathmatically perfect TRIPLET rythm in m2k at the moment and i think this >>3 note repeat thing might be the key!!