How do you make your tracks?

Started by pillagemyvillage, January 12, 2008, 01:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pillagemyvillage

hi, just wondered how everyone makes their tracks.
do you have college experience? have you been taught by someone?
do you know how to arrange and eq music professionally?
i have no prior knowledge and make my music from years of listening to dance music!
also has anyone had any success with the music programmes? such as being played in a club etc.
there is one guy i know of called motley who made tracks on music 2000 and was signed to a label in manchester. he also has a hidden track he made for music 3000 which can be activated by...
In the main menu, push Select, Up, Down, Left, Right, Up, Down, Left, Right, Up, Down, Left, Right.
there is hope for us all to be discovered!

DJ_Omnimaga

I started without prior knowledge. I only listened to the genre for maybe 2 years prior starting using Music 2000

147 crew

Cool, will check that hidden track out on MUSIC3000..

You can probably tell that i've had no proffessional experience, just listening to all types of music since I was little and loved it, I remember listening to Prodigy in first yr of secondary school 1992, Drum n Bass became my favourite around '99. Just love the Fat BASS lines and they are never dull.. I always try to recreate something i've heard with my self made style thrown in..If i could go back in time I would've deffinitely studied Music more closely.. If I remember correctly I think my friend Noel played some of his made tunes down the local pub on occasion, some of his tunes I put up in my youtube group, if you haven't yet then take a look

Rave is ok, but I was too young to be going out and taking E's LOL, not a good look

DJ_Omnimaga

I should try to make old skool illegal rave style songs in Music 2000

kinda like the song starting  around 1:05 in this vid

lol it's weird watching ppl in this vid tho O.o

EDIT: wow i just found the song O_O

pillagemyvillage

you should def make some old skool illegal rave tunes! that was the first genre i ever listened to. it started me off on my love for dance music.
it would be great to hear again!

iku

I don`t have any college experience and any knowledge how to compose.
I`m used to listening to a lot of music and it helps me to bring some new ideas to my own songs. It aslo depends on my mood how my song will go. Of course my feelings are often transferred to my music, and this is the reason why I don`t have any cheerful track. I don`t create music when I am in a good mood.
When I feel happy I spend my time doing completely different things. ;)
As a result of this in my production dominate serious electro.

While composing I often use my keyboard to create a melody I like. I can play keyboard but I have never attended any lessons. I rely just on my own ears.
I would like to have some ceerful track in my collection, so I will have to find time to fiddle with music 2000 in a good mood. :lol:  
...let the music flow through your vains...

Gruvenheimer

It depends. I have been into a lot of different styles of music; when I was 13 it was all about breakdance, and that was when RUN DMC first came out and we were all listening to Roxanne-Roxanne & ICE T tracks at like 125 bpm, and that was the shit. (I rem when Technotronic came out with a track at 132 we were all like 'HOLY CRAP THIS IS FAST!). LOL. No one new how to dance to it...

Then I was into Mod-Punk & New Wave, then some punk (I saw RHCP at Pinks Garage when they were still a concept band and I really loved the energy and the ingenuity), and I have gone on to classic rock, alt rock, rave, club, whatever now. I was a Dj too for a while.

The point it, by the time I got to the MTVMG I had been exposed to so much music, I didn't really have a 'genre' so to speak. So when I go to make a track there are a bunch of different ways I go about it, depending largely on my mood.

If I am doing something housey or more hard dance, I will start with the beat and then layer on top of that with sound FX and perc. Melody usually comes last. If I am doing something for dance music, then I have melody ideas first and beat comes later.

And then I do this thing which I guess you would call 'snatch & grab' where I just go into the library kinda fast hitting F1 and when I hear something I like I grab it to the palette. Then I make a song and see how it goes - sometimes it is clickin and sometimes it is crap. >SHRUG< I like the unpredictability factor to that approach.

I have tried some focused work with a concept going in, and that turned out well. But it takes a lot to reign in my brain and keep me focused! And I have done challenges, either laid out by me or someone else. Sometimes I just want to see if I can do something.

I also just fart around with sounds and beats alot when I have nothing else to do, so I have a LOT of bits and pieces on my computer (I save everything even if I think it is crap at the time, I may be able to use it later). So sometimes I am dinking around and I get something and I think 'that would go really well with this or that' and then I get a song that way.

I guess if I had to choose a genre for me that I keep going back to it would be hard dance, then house.    

One thing is for sure though, I have always used the Generator.  :ph34r:  
Yours in the Beat,
-Gruvenheimer
[/i]

zapphnath

QuoteGruvenheimer said:  *a whole lot of stuff*
It's almost as if you stole my identity, there.  :)  Run-DMC, Roxanne-Roxanne, "This beat is... This beat is.. This beat is Technotronic" -- it's like reading my own bio.

Not a Number

I've been using the Generator since 2000 and although I've been trying out other programs as well, I always seem to go back to Music 2000.

As for genre, I'd say I'm my own genre, a genre I like to call "Progressive Futurepop". Progressive in the sense that I like to use really long and complex instumental sections (although admittedly I haven't created any "superlong" sections as of yet) using really weird time signatures; the only setback to this is that because Music 2000 can only work in 4/4 time, I have to make it total 4/4 (My latest completed creation "Infinity part one" clocks in at ~8:00 and has a 7/8 - 9/8 loop at the start, which averages up to 2 bars of 8/8). Futurepop in the sense that the songs I make aren't exactly "conventional". Best example is another of my album tracks, which quote: "is a sad tale about the luckiest man on the planet"; you guys heard of Lemon Demon? That sort of happy sound.

As for music production itself, I actually write the lyrics first before creating the music behind it. Sometimes I'll think up a tune first and then write the lyrics, but creating the backing track is always last on the list. The main flaw in this method is that if it can take me quite a while to figure out what certain chords go where. I almost always use my own custom riffs, though some stuff (namely, the drum loops) is taken from the default riffs.
To aid me with creating the backing melodies, I also own a keyboard; this helps me find each note in the melody. Literally I'll be standing at the keyboard humming the same note over and over again whilst pressing different keys until I get the right one. It's time consuming, but it works.