Making a sample sound stereo

Started by DJ Omnimaga, November 03, 2007, 12:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ_Omnimaga

Actually I prefer my method for strings samples, because if I use the reverb options it still sounds mono. I can hear a stereo effect in the reverb but it's very weak and when I work with hard synths or am trying to do a saw bass it just doesn't work. Try to compare my song "Angel In The Stars" to "A New World To Discover 2008"

http://omnimaga.org/Our%20Own%20Work/DJ%20Omnimaga%20-%20Angel%20In%20The%20Stars.mp3
http://omnimaga.org/Our%20Own%20Work/DJ%20Omnimaga%20-%20A%20New%20World%20To%20Discover%202008.mp3

The first song was made before I discovered the two channel stereo trick. I used reverb to have Stereo. The second one uses the same sample for bass/main melody respectively, but the bass uses my stereo method and the melody uses both. Notice the big difference, especially in the bass. It seems more like the bass is there than the first song. Of course I do not recommend my method for short samples, percussions or vocals though, because then you will hear a delay. Also for most of my songs I try to not have an offset difference higher than 20-30. Also I make sure both channels offset isn't near 0, else for one of the channel it will sound weird, as most samples starts with a different sound. For example with Syn Brass and Synth Pad you hear some kind of weird noise at the beginning. You really need to play around with both methods and choose the one that suits your music genre best. Some of my songs made after these two songs didn't used my method at all, like Grooving To The Melody for example, because it wasn't suitable and not really needed. Most of the time I only use it for basslines (not long synth pads used as bass though), the main melody, and if the song doesn't have a complex main melody with lot of chords then I add the effect to the synth pad that isnt used as bass

147 crew

quality, i'm gonna re-read all the tips for making tunes..made a string part and it doesn't sound too good, hopefully 1 of these methods will work  :D

Not a Number

I usually experiment with panning if I have several string notes played at once.

Usually I have 2 notes played 50% to the left and two played 50% to the right. (with Yellow Stereo)

147 crew

checked out that yellow effect on a sample, it sounded good, bit sharp but I think i'll leave it in. Still need to finish my tune hopefully it will come together nice!!

DJ_Omnimaga

I can't wait to hear :), but I  am so busy that I am like 40 songs behind at least on this site that I still need to listen too x.x so it might take a while

147 crew

yeah tell me bout it, way behind. But I noticed the symbol when you have read a topic so thats gonna help me loads..wanna check out loads of ambient 'cos if I made one of those style man it would suck right now.
Been listening to some Garage today, might try one of those styles soon  ??? Seems pretty easy but i'm sure it will be a challenge but a fun one  :D

DJ_Omnimaga

yeah the unread topic symbol is useful, altough when I converted the board all topics got marked as new, and when moving the songs into their specific genres almost all of them got marked as unread. But at least it helps

DJ_Omnimaga

sometimes the Yellow stereo thing doesn't add that much stereo when too many riffs are playing at once but sometimes it works fine. This fails usually with basslines that has an hard saw synth sound. When lot of riffs plays at once even if the bass volume is high or if I use two channel with the exact same riff it will still not be strong enough. WIth melodies it sometimes works pretty well though

It really depends of what kind of music you want to do. If you go with eurodance or rock you might be fine with the yello thing, else if you do UK hardcore you might want to use my trick instead

Another trick is to use a very similar sample for the left channel and another for the right one. SOmetimes it creates an awesome effect. Also with the yellow thing it has to be Space at 40 or higher or Hall at 50 or higher to add enough stereo

EDIT: On a side note, if you use Music 3000, Music 2000 PC or Music 2002 (only on PC) you have to use either my trick to have stereo or have some parts of strings panned to the left and the others to the right (usually each at different pitch) or use two similar samples, one to the left and one to the right, because these softwares only produce mono reverb

147 crew

Thanks for some more good advice,  24 channels is not enough!! Pretty hard to get the best sound..

DJ_Omnimaga

true. For my new eurodance song I did not used my stereo trick at all since it was unneeded and I still had trouble in one part of the song to fit riffs somewhere. Sometimes I have to move stuff around and do some cleaning in the song editor to free up some room for huge riffs

pillagemyvillage

its well annoying when you have to remove riffs.
in mtvmg2 when you have loads of channels full, some notes are missed in playback.
so usually i delete some percussion to level things up...
tip: if you experience, for example, a melody riff missing some notes try moving it across a couple of squares... for some reason this sometimes helps.

DJ_Omnimaga

Does it do this mostly when there's reverb applied to a lot of notes or does it happens at any time there's lot of notes at once? I know Music 2000 on the PS2 sometimes have this problem too. On PS1 and an emulator it didn't happen but on PS2 I noticed that when load of notes plays at once some percussions gets missed, especially snare rolls. Thanks for the tip though

pillagemyvillage

i dont think it matters if you apply reverb. if you have loads of riffs playing sometimes some notes are missed... so the only solution is to delete some percussion of move the offending riff across to some free space... this doesnt always work, but sometimes it does... ive no idea why it sometimes works.  ???

147 crew

In my Stalker tune, loads of melodies sort of vanished during playback..I did have about 6 playin' at once though..all with reverb pretty much and the stereo/cloning riff trick  :D