Recording Higher Then 128 kbps

Started by Gruvenheimer, March 13, 2008, 08:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gruvenheimer

I have an editing software that goes all the way up to 320 kpbs. I never understood what that was all about until I just tried it one night.

There is a big difference in the quality and the flow of your music. It is like opening up the throat on the system so the info doesn't get squished and tinny.

Of course that threw me into a whole new learning curve because when I went back and ripped older tracks from 128 to 320 the sounds changed and in some cases it took me a while to get used to. >SHRUG<

Dj Omnimaga is right though, these make HUGE FILES. Useless for most email sytems and pages like Myspace or here if you are uploading to the site.

HOWEVER, you CAN upload your music to the Internet Archive.
The Internet Archive
This is a trick that me and couple of buds use. It accomplishes several things, but mostly

1. You can link to a 320 recording of you music that always plays well off of that site - only problem is if people are on dial up. But the archive rips your music into smaller files, so that problem can be averted. They just won't be able to hear the 320 version.

2. Your music is published. Not in the record company sense of the word, but technically once you upload a work to the archive it is published and you can better stake your claim to names and such. Or you can go on there and see if the name of your track has already been used 15 times, and you can modify the name if you want.

3. I already mentioned the ripping. They rip files for you.

Of course, you have to be on a decent speed hookup because the uploads can take forever (half hour to an hour on dial up). I am sitting right over a pipeline with not many users in the area, so I get 54 mbps which has spoiled me terribly. But it can handle huge file transfers in a fraction of the time.

I use Audio Surgeon for editing and mixing tracks outside of the generator. It can save to 320 kbps, and has turned out to be a very useful too for me. It cost about $50 and was worth every cent.

By the by, if you are serious about music and promoting yourself, I would recommend a visit to Technetium on Myspace and read the blog. Everything you need to do is laid out there for you (maybe not everything, but enough information is there for you to get some serious momentum and start creating an online image of yourself & your product).

B)  
Yours in the Beat,
-Gruvenheimer
[/i]

DJ_Omnimaga

I never got able to get archive to work properly, half of the time it's down and when I upload stuff I get full of errors :(

One of my song got through anyway, but I never got able to reupload again afterward :(

Still a good idea for those who can get it to work tho :)

Personally I don't mind 128 kbps though, since there isn't much quality loss (at least on my PC). But 96 kbps is starting to get bad.

As for upload solution you can upload files up to 6 MB directly in your forum posts too, if your connection has stable speed