Who Inspires You?

Started by RyceBeetz, July 16, 2008, 04:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyceBeetz

Whats up TIMGUL???

Just wanted to know who inspires you musically? I also thought it would be a good way to have some artists looked at, maybe one someone has never heard of....

so, here it goes...the big ones for me are:

Trance:
DJ Mystik, DJ Tatana, Ayla, DJ Epic, George Acosta, ATB

Rap/Hip Hop/RnB:
Ryan Leslie, Neptunes/N*E*R*D, Mike Shinoda, Mr. Hahn, Dr. Dre, Timbaland, Kanye West, Track Masters...

thats a good list for now...

anyone else??  :)

Casper AudioGhost

cool topic.well here is a short list
producers remixers i like-giorgio moroder,nile rodgers,bimbo jones,youth,timbaland(fo sho lol)joey beltram
in rap i've been listening to south park mexican and juan gotti love old school hip hop like africa bambaatta,public enemy,black sheep
new wave was my bread and butter as a teen so would be amiss if i didn't mention
depeche mode,the cure,yaz,aha,simple minds,R.E.M,talking heads,the smiths,bauhaus,kmfdm,ultravox,visage,erasure,so many more
the first time i heard a kevin saunderson acid house remix it totally blew my mind
prodigy,the early stuff like "charley" and "everybody in the place"moby of course
bizarre inc,snap,culture beat,sven vath. 2 bad mice,anticapella,so many electronic artists through the years.oh yeah george acosta good pick(planet soul)
hard rock like korn,system of a down,weezer,stone temple pilots also inspires me
as far a writing lyrics my hero is leonard cohen,also elvis costello is great
i love so much music it is hard to list everything that makes me feel like writing
                                                                                          casper
RIP Marna Patterson (1947-2009) i love you mom,my music is for you:)
my net label http://www.archive.org/details/white-trash-poptronica
www.showcaseyourmusic.com/audioghost 57 tracks
www.myspace.com/audioghost
www.jamwave.com/audioghost
www.youtube.com/casperr37
dj on http://chat.paltalk.com/g2/paltalk/1352831106

Not a Number

Despite my music being more trance-y, the majority of my infulences are actually rock/metal based, mainly the band Dream Theater. A handful of their songs and the complexity of their music are main inspirations to my own; the main example being the WIP song Infinity part one/two which was inspired from the track "A Change of Seasons"; the "story" in the lyrics are very similar to each other, and not blowing one's own trumpet, both songs are epically lengthed ("A Change of Seasons" at 23:06, and "Infinity" at a potential 15:00+).

pillagemyvillage

unbelievably the first music i listened to was bon jovi! my god what was i thinking!?
but then i heard prodigy. they blew me away and from then on i knew this was the type of music i wanted to listen to.
i discovered orbital, who were amazing and then judge jules's radio 1 dance show.
it was here that i cemented my love for dance music.
of course at first i liked tiesto and ferry corsten but then broardend my trance horizons and really dug deep into the scene listening to the likes of fred baker and robbie rivera.
basically if its good dance im inspired!
many times ive been inspired by work on here... at the mo im inspired by my own track 'inyoureyes'.
i liked it alot so im making a trance remix to be uploaded tommorow.
it has elements of omnimaga and dark bliss with a few others thrown in too!

JulianNachash

Honestly, I've never been inspired by anything or anyone except the music.  I start with a tune in my head, start to transpose it to the studio and work from there.  The music sort of writes itself, really.  lol
------------------------------------
"Sanity is the only true fantasy."

The Official Website of Julian Nachash: http://juliannachash.us/

DarkBliss

My early inspirations were mainly dance acts you`d find on compilations like Trance Nation and the Euphoria series.
As I progressed I began to draw inspiration from the likes of The Prodigy, Massive Attack, The Chemical Brothers, Primal Scream, Radiohead and Leftfield amongst others.

More recently I`ve gotten inspiration from the more classical side of things, Beethoven, Vangelis, Michael Andrews and also from chillout artists such as Jon Hopkins (thanks Pillage) and Portishead.

My other major inspiration nowadays comes from my favourite band of the moment "Grandaddy". My song "Symphony For The Manic Robot" is heavily influenced by Grandaddy`s "Jed`s Other Poem".

"Way Out" - new album made with Ableton Live- 2012

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DarkBliss/117950634945435

JCW

Hard question, but I have to agree with Julian and can honestly say no one.

I'm inspired by genre's like Drum & Bass/Breakbeat/Jungle, Hardcore/Gabba/Frenchcore/Techno etc etc. Not artists, but the actual music itself, so in that sense I guess it can be considered everyone, but let's not get too literal.

I just seemed to have created my own style by creating music that I think sounds good I guess.

If I may, from people who have listened to my music (Pillage, Bliss, Casper, Omni etc) what would you guys compare my style to genre wise and which artists? I'd like to know for future reference. :)

JulianNachash

My style is very simplistic and unique.  I can't really think of any other genre than Experimental.  Perhaps "Ambient", but that's more of the mood than the genre.  I'll give you my opinion, JCW, as I listen to more of your music. ;)
"Sanity is the only true fantasy."

The Official Website of Julian Nachash: http://juliannachash.us/

JCW

quade77

Well this is very simple for me, its DJ K90 without question, im a kinda of friend / fan, go out to hear him play whenever i can and we have a beer now and again at the clubs he plays at, and we chat on myspace a lot, he gives me feedback on tunes i make and asks me what i think of his new work, he won the mixmag live dance act 2008 and rightly so, he is by far the best live DJ you can ever dream of watching, truly amazing, and tunes are top notch trance, i recommend anyone to check out all his stuff  ;D

i started raving a damn long time ago now lol, in warehouse's and aircraft carriers and stuff like that way back when i was 15 years old lol i was well into the uk hardcore scene about 92 / 93 and so on, and i think that had a big impact on my musical life, and as i progressed in the clubs and raves i went to the music seemed to get better and better and my tastes changed, so you make the music you like the best, so i guess all that was a inspiration for me  ;D

Casper AudioGhost

jcw,your style very much reminds me of german hard house techno like sven vath and also future sound of london and some altern8  to a point              casper
RIP Marna Patterson (1947-2009) i love you mom,my music is for you:)
my net label http://www.archive.org/details/white-trash-poptronica
www.showcaseyourmusic.com/audioghost 57 tracks
www.myspace.com/audioghost
www.jamwave.com/audioghost
www.youtube.com/casperr37
dj on http://chat.paltalk.com/g2/paltalk/1352831106

JCW

Thanks Casper, I'll keep that in mind.