Hi folks!

Started by Coordman, August 30, 2010, 08:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coordman

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, but I've been a Music Generator user since it first came out on the PS1. I've goofed around with it a lot, created more doodles than anything else, but I have a few gems in the rough that I may feel compelled to share.

More than anything, I'm hoping to learn some techniques to "up my game" so to speak. When I do record, I tend to route directly from my PS2s audio outs to my Soundblaster Extreme Gamer FX Fatal1ty card, and does a pretty clean job. I use Audacity to EQ and clean thing up. I've been considering using the same prog to multi track. Anyone have any experience with sampling? Thoughts on memory conservation in that regard? Great to hear I'm not alone in still using MG1. :)
Never sweat the petty things and never pet the sweaty things. -George Carlin

.:DJ Droppin:.

Welcome to TIMGUL  :)

You have come to the right place. We have hundred of dozens of artists here and many more joining every week. There are hundreds of songs here covering about every spectrum of music you can think of. We welcome all genres and styles here.

I also use Audacity, but am unsure of the sampling. What are you referring to specifically with Memory Conservation?

Get those songs uploaded I am looking forward to hearing them.  :)

Admin Staff,
-Rob
Bass is a force that defies the universe of logic, time, and space. http://www.reverbnation.com/djdroppin

Coordman

Well, what I mean is this. I use a PS2 and MTVMG. A while back I did a remix of a song written by a local band and in it I utilized a sample from their original track. (lifted from CD, about a five second guitar loop) By the time I finished the track, I didn't have enough memory to store the whole thing, so I had to record it in one session without the ability to save the raw data. The recording equipment I had at the time wasn't great (kinda sucked, really) so now that I have better equipment, I am unfortunately unable to remaster it.

I'd like to avoid this situation in the future. It'd be great if I could span a volume across two memory cards, but that seems pretty unlikely. Thoughts?

RSCONCEPTIONS©

WeLCOME to the FoRUMS!! (see what I did there <<< :P )

Could you not get MTVMG for PC?

Gonna check out your tunes now man.

Rikki./

Koolassjoe

Welcome 2 TIMGUL!

Seems like a limitation thats the core of MTVMG. Theres no way around this issue if u use the consoles. Music for the PC eliminates the memory problem but sacrifices stability meaning you have unlimited sampling time but you have 2 deal with stability issues like freezes and such.

I went thru the same issues like u when i 1st started recording from the PS1. i ended up purchasing an external CD recorder (B4 the term burner). Then i would record directly to CD. This makes every work one of a kind and you lose everything once you power down but the set up gave me a few extra "cheats" to use. I could simply record each track individually and reintroduce the layout in-studio from cd. Kinda like a Master track list. I could sample something and change things and add things, record and then resample again with the sample being a partial mix of your song. like a giant sandwich cut in pieces.

But you want more sample time... One trick i learned to get a few more seconds is minimising the starting fx. Usually the program starts you off with a set track layout. Change the reverb to "STUDIO B" This will give you a few extra seconds of sample time. Another trick is to sample in at the lowest quality giving you way more time sacrificing pure sound for dirty sound. Last, u can sample @ "high speed" then lower the sample octave to return to the original format. You should increase sample time but there will be some distortion when changing octaves. Hope this helps guys! TIMGUL 4 Life!
The One and Only, Koolassjoe

www.facebook.com/Koolassjoe
www.myspace.com/koolassjoebeats

www.showcaseyourmusic.com/Koolassjoe
www.gimmesound.com/Koolassjoe
www.soundclick.com/koolassjoe

www.youtube.com/koolassjoe
www.animemusicvideos.org/search/quick.php?criteria=Koolassjoe

Master Dutch

Welcome to the site. If you can find a copy of MTVMG PC or Music2000pc then you'll have unlimited sampling time, but it works best on Windows XP and under. Amazon.com sometimes has them for sale.

Coordman

Thanks for the tips and welcomes, everyone. :)

Koolassjoe: I've been considering trying multi-tracking like you suggested, but rather than using cds, nowadays, I'd just hook into my PC's sound card and record the separate tracks that way. I agree that this would free resources up, but then you have the problem of "guessing" how things will line up between tracks. If you're recording loops and things that repeat to a point, this is a great method. If you're recording a lead part, however, you had better have a pretty clear mental image of your backing tracks or your going to be doing a LOT of re-recording.

Thanks for the memory tips! I wasn't aware that a new track starts out using memory. Good info!

I wonder if anyone uses a combination of products between the PS and PC versions. Thoughts on the best versions or combo?

Coordman

So, I do want to mention that finding this site has inspired me to try and tackle some projects that have been poking my brain. One of them is a prog-metal idea I have. Kind of Dream Theater meets Final Fantasy. It's pretty ambitious, really. I think the biggest problems are going to be making the guitar believable and keeping the drums interesting and unique throughout. Wish me luck. I think I'm going to need it.  :D