What a shit kick

Started by Season 8, October 18, 2009, 11:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Season 8

I'm aching to make a new tune, I have snippets and bits and bobs but I have been unable to come up with something new and creative. It's not the program just I can only make a tune when I'm feeling it. I feel like I'm getting the musicians version of writer's block.

Sacred Virgo

welcome to the club then :-)

Not a Number

I just turn to the keyboard and improv on it. That's how I came up with the basis of Phoenix.

Season 8

I'm quite annoyed as I have a good idea just no way to put it down on paper if you will

Season 8

It's ever since I made The Resurrection which took so much out of me, it's hard to make one that I believe is good enough to post

Not a Number

I don't tend to write my tunes down in musical notation (I can't really read/write it that well anyway); I tend to write them down similar to guitar tabs, so taking the intro melody for Phoenix:

| C1 C2 Ab1 G F - C - | Eb - -  - - - -  - |
| C1 C2 Ab1 G F - C - | - Eb Eb F G F Eb C |

If you have a keyboard handy, just mess about on the keys until you get something.

(in case you're wondering, the numbers represent a change in octave)

---

Heck, I've gone through cold spells myself; I managed to come up with loads of tracks just by messing on the keyboard until something appeared.

Season 8

It honestly is though, I do wish I had a keyboard, I haven't played in a while but I wouldn't forget how to, it's just really frustrating

Koolassjoe

Anytime the block hits your creative movement... Time for a review. A full review. Find every piece of work you have ever created or can find & listen to all of it! Track them old school with the pencil and paper method we used in the last century! Listen to how shitty you sounded back when u first created and laugh at it. remember how much of a noob u were when it all began. im sure ideas should pop in and out just like the memories of when you were freely creating. i personally would drink a brew or hit some of the "devils lettuce" then reinstall all the ideas I had that I never mastered. by the time u rock the last masterpiece you actually completed, the block should be gone.

Another way to break the block is to teach someone what you do. Ive taught several people how to use the generator. trust me nothing pushes your musical ability further than passing on your skills. Somehow you end up fine tuning your entire process and when you see your own style in someone elses direction, you hear yourself differently. Plus freeing some of the pressure of creating better stuff is the best path. ive made songs that sounded horrible to me but excellent to others. what u think isnt good enuff to post might be someone elses fav track! Writters block or beat masters block... its just thinking to hard.
The One and Only, Koolassjoe

www.facebook.com/Koolassjoe
www.myspace.com/koolassjoebeats

www.showcaseyourmusic.com/Koolassjoe
www.gimmesound.com/Koolassjoe
www.soundclick.com/koolassjoe

www.youtube.com/koolassjoe
www.animemusicvideos.org/search/quick.php?criteria=Koolassjoe