Trancimaga

Started by DJ Omnimaga, June 30, 2008, 05:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ_Omnimaga

Ok here is my new song again. Last night I decided to open MTVMG2 and started messing with the Ice song file, and tried some new instruments and see how they fit together, and then I found a sample similar to the one in my Music 3000 song (the same?) and tried to do some kind of Hi NRG loop and it worked very well, made the song harder so I went with trance again with this one. It took me around 6 hours to make I think. I am unsure what kind of trance it would goes into, but again it is inspired by Pillagemyvillage stuff, altough this song is shorter and uses a different bassline than my other song. This one also uses a much longer chord progression, meaning it's a bit less repetitive. Anyway I hope you like it ^^

pillagemyvillage

i have to say i think your music is sounding better on mtvmg2 than music 2000?
nice to hear sci fi in there! and starwoosh!
awesome breakdown. you seem to achieve more layers in the melody than what i do.
lovin the kick! really happy atmospheric feel.
tapping my foot and nodding my head all the way through!
defo keep using mtvmg2, its sounding awesome... in some ways crisper!?
are you prefering mtvmg2 now?

DJ_Omnimaga

Oh yeah I love Sci fi. I didn't used it much because I didn't know where i could use it in my eurodance tracks, but in MTVMG2 it sounded great with the other samples. Thanks for the comment. Personally I migth stick with MTVMG2 for a while, because I can load twice more riffs than in Music 2000. Playback seems kinda better for strings too. In Music 2000 no matter if you edit the note enveloppe or not sometimes it clicks when it changes note so you need to alternate each note from a channel to another. Also I like how I can put multiple notes at once in one single channel, which was impossible in Music 2000. It makes the song screen easier to understand, and it makes string pads much easier to compose.

My move from Hall 50% to Space 40% reverb might have helped a lot though. Sound quality for samples is the same than Music 2000 but song making is easier when you are used to the program, so I can do better stuff. ^^

My only two gripe about MTVMG2 are riff volume changing. It's impossible to be accurate anymore when changing it because you cannot click on a + or - to change percentage by 1, you need to move the control points around and it moves way too fast

My other gripe is copy/pasting notes in the riff editor. In Music 2000 you had a blue square around the area you selected and since each octaves were on separate screen it was easier to relocate notes somewhere else.

But I will eventually get used to these problems I guess

pillagemyvillage

yeah the riff volume changing is annoying! its very rough... i usually go for 51.37 ish as half way, 33.33 ish for a third of the way and 71.41 ish as two thirds.

tips to save some time (if you dont already know)  :D

if you make a complicated melody riff say 16 bars long but forgot to put reverb on each note, or wanted to take reverb of all notes, or forgot to change all the notes volume envelopes, pan etc...
then press select and cover all of the notes (as if you were gonna cut and paste).
press O and then click on whatever screen you want to change.
so for reverb click onto that screen and activate reverb. then all your notes have reverb!
you can also adjust note volume over time which i have found useful from time to time.
also great if you want to shorten each notes envelope but dont want to have to do each one individually... 

DJ_Omnimaga

yeah I usually select all notes i want to change at once. Tis helps a lot.

In Music 2000 this wasn't possible due to an annoying bug because all parameters for the notes selected immediately changed to the first selected notes ones when going in note parameters options. This was annoying cuz in most cases if you alerady made a riff you had to do it one by one. In MTVMG2 all parameters are separate from each options, so this won't happen :)

DarkBliss

Hey top tune Omni!  ;)
"Way Out" - new album made with Ableton Live- 2012

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DarkBliss/117950634945435

DJ_Omnimaga

thanks, which part of the song would you mean by creepy though? O.O

DJ_Omnimaga

oooh I see what you mean, IIRC it's Scify.

Now that you mention X-Files... you give me some ideas lol... maybe I should try to do some kind of happy hardcore remix of X-Files theme song but I'm not too keen on doing remixes very much