5th monthly traffic increase in a row

Started by DJ Omnimaga, February 07, 2009, 07:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ_Omnimaga

It seems that TIMGUL is getting more and more visitors everyday. Since August, forum hits have done nothing but increase, going from 20083 page views in August to 65879 in January. It is higher when we count hits on other pages and files.

Year   Month            Forum Page Views     Total Page Views
2007   November         -                    10435
2007   December         -                    8738
2008   January          -                    30609*
2008   February         -                    15557
2008   March            -                    21942
2008   April            -                    22034
2008   May              26357                33671
2008   June             28366                37152
2008   July             29579                35869
2008   August           20083                24865
2008   September        32021                37889
2008   October          36865                47480
2008   November         54396                67412
2008   December         57720                73643
2009   January          65879                79242
   FORUM HITS SINCE MAY=351266    TOTAL HITS=546538
*Jan 08 stats were inflated by about 17000 due to hacking incident.

Posting rate has made the monthly average amount of post increase slightly. Since forums opened on October 29th 2007, our 262 members have made an average of 583.22 posts per month, making an average of 19.28 per day. We also reached 8000 posts last night.

Maybe traffic and interest will continue to increase, as there are still a lot of Music Generator users on Youtube and elsewhere on the web and with the discovery of a way to transfer memory card data to the PC to share with other forum users, this might make the community even more interactive.

stonecold

Cool! theres 42 guests and 9 users on right now. Never seen so many guests before. :)
I'd rather be a nobody, than a somebody who 'nearly' made it.
http://uk.youtube.com/user/wdivi

DJ_Omnimaga

yeah i noticed that the amount of guests is increasing every month. Even during night there are 10 guests in the past hour sometimes

Irndemon

:D There are 22 guests all viewing the drum n bass section at the time of writing this!!  ;D
All are viewing 147 crews stuff,....Last night topics for every track that i'd uploaded was being viewed ....twice  :D
Amazed!!!

stonecold

Yeah its good,but what pisses me off a little bit is that these 'guests' are downloading tracks all over the place and not leaving comments. You can see that "random choon" .mp3 has been downloaded 22 times or whatever, but there is only 4 comments. Members with links to savefile/mediafire can view the downloads on the respective sites and also see that their songs have been downloaded many times without feedback.
Id like to think that ppl have seen tracks on yt and have come to TIMGUL to get the real deal which is cool,but come on 'guests'! Sign up and tell us your views! :)

JCW

I totally agree, if they're downloading they must enjoy them! I'd like to hear feedback from people outside the community, in a way the true 'fans' of what we do here.

stonecold

Yep defo. Another way to get members would be that you would have to sign in/up to download tracks.(you have to be a member to upload, so how about it omni?) Ok,so this wouldnt work with the 'linked' dwnlds, only message attached files but cool? or not? I personaly dont mind how many ppl dwnld my stuff(members or not) but think this might be a way to bring in some new ppl.

DJ_Omnimaga

Well i had many ideas in mind for downloads.

1) At first i thought about splitting external files from internal ones, since some people don't have the time to spend waiting 20 minutes to download a savefile song. I personally no longer check songs uploaded externally, unless they are uploaded at Mediafire, Divshare or Youtube (Youtube lately is slow, though, so I might not check that either). However I ditched this idea because it would take months to separate topics per sections.

2) Completly disallow external uploads from all hosts except Mediafire, Youtube and Divshare. That way people don't have trouble downloading or waiting. Mediafire is the only fast file host and while Youtube/divshare are slow, you can preview the song instantly without having to download it. However, I know some people will get pissed that savefiles is no longer allowed and that it's better, but I might have no choice if savefiles and other hosts gets even worse in terms of server speed. It's not my internet because I got a 10 mbps connection and I download at 1 MB/sec from mediafire and close to it on TIMGUL

3) Disable externam uploads completly altogether. The good side is that it would prevent 404 - not found errors for most old links, but the downside is that half of the songs and people wouldn't be able to upload. The 6 MB limit on 1and1 sucks x.x

So basically the external uploads are gonna remain and be in the same category than internal uploads. However as I said before, I'm no longer checking new songs uploaded anywhere else than forums, mediafire, divshare or youtube.

TO attract new members, there is a way to disable guest attachments, but I will also install a mod that hide links to guests. Only problem though is that it will hide every single links on the entire board, even those that might appear on the front page in the news, so I will have to be careful about that.

JCW

Good idea, on the front page at the top you could add a large message saying something like "To see the music that the TIMGUL community has produced, please sign up and listen today" something like that, think it'd be cool.

DJ_Omnimaga

actuallY I thought about having such notice everywhere on the site