Ableton

Started by Fear 2 Stop®, August 12, 2009, 04:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear 2 Stop®

Okay...if I were to break down and use something non-MTVMG.. I want to do it right. So yeah, I may break down and get into the whole Ableton kind of vibe.

What do I need to know? Anybody up for a crash course?
Fear 2 Stop are: Billy Castillo (me), Dana Castillo (my wife) Raymond Proseus (best friend)http://www.soundclick.com/fear2stop

jcw

Try contacting Quade or Pillage, or search YouTube for things about Ableton, I'm an FL Studio man so I can't help you out here lol.

quade77

im afraid there is no crash course in learning a pro bit of kit like ableton Live even tho it is more user friendly then anything else out there, but you cant just glance at it like some people do and then get scared of it, it will take a little time, (obviously) but it will be the best musical move you have ever made in your life, its MUCH easier then MTVMG2 and all the other music (games) and the end result is %1000000 better, once you know a few basics of how to get around the interface you will look back and think to yourself,"why have i waited this long?" if you ask pillage how easy it is he will tell you the same thing, (at this point i would love pillage to stand up for me and just tell people how fucking ridiculously easy it is and im not just the only one thinking it), i would love to help you but i have often tried to help lots of people see the light only to have my efforts wasted or thrown back in my face, and after time this has started to get me down. pillage is the only one that understands how good and easy it is, also shellshaka gets it too a bit now and with time will be much better. if you really want to change your whole world of music then this is by far the best choice, FL is good but its not much of a jump from MTVMG2, the reason people use it is because they can, but its not a patch on ableton, and i know i have tried both and until you really try both you don't know the difference ! fact !

now if you are really really serious i will help, starting with sorting you out a ableton Live 7, witch is awesome.

ok first of all, do you have the right System requirements?? if not forget it!! lol
The boxed version of Ableton Live 7 LE requires approximately 4 GB of hard drive space.

Mac
Any G4 or faster (Intel Mac recommended)
512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended)
Mac OS X 10.3.9 (10.4 or later recommended)
Quicktime 6.5 or higher recommended
DVD-ROM drive

Windows
1.5 GHz CPU or faster
512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended)
Windows XP or Windows Vista
Windows compatible sound card (ASIO driver support recommended)
Quicktime 6.5 or higher recommended
DVD-ROM drive

if you do have the right system requirements and you like ableton i can guide you to this, Ableton live tutorial DVD which is all you will need and in a month be blasting out the best stuff you have ever made and loving ever minute of it :)

and remember this is all for free

DJ_Omnimaga

OH! One thing we must not forget in system requirements: The sound card. I do not know a lot about them, but I do know that if you have an old sound card that was not designed for music producing, then even if you got a quad core processor with 4 GB of RAM, you will still get massive slow downs or crunchy sound with certain VST plugins when you use too many at once. If your sound card can barely handle most video games made within the past 5 years, you'll have to stick to simpler songs or less advanced VST plugins.

So yeah, your PC needs to meet the requirements Quade mentionned, then have a relatively recent sound card. I myself can't exceed 6 midi channels at once during a song playback without getting slow downs during playback in most softwares with most plugins.

Basically, switching to pro equipment might cost you as much as $1500, assuming you paid for the plugins and softwares. For me it might be a bit more, as nothing new fits in my computer mother board (basically, if I want a new video/sound card or more RAM, I have to change the entire mobo, which means I would have to change everything else in it too, as it would no longer fit.)

quade77

my computer has a bog stranded sound card, my PC is 5 / 6 years old,  my computer spec is .. packard bell ..Pentium 4,,, 3.06 hz ....1 GB of ram

i can have 35 maybe more tracks running at the same time, the reason you are getting slow down is because you are not freezing the track! if you freeze the track it converts MIDI in to audio and greatly improves the CPU usage, when you want to work on that track you just click on the track and click unfreeze, simple! this way you can have lots of stuff running at the same time.  :)

i had the same problem at first, i could only have 4 to 6 tracks running at the same time and it was slowing down massively, it almost made me give up using ableton, UNTIL i worked out that you need to freeze the track to have it run well. plus if you just drop in audio files it takes up hardly any CPU (computer power usage)

if you listen to my stuff now you can see i have no problems at all,

Fear 2 Stop®

My computer's a piece of crap. Adobe Audition works good on it, but this might be too much for it to handle.
Fear 2 Stop are: Billy Castillo (me), Dana Castillo (my wife) Raymond Proseus (best friend)http://www.soundclick.com/fear2stop

quade77

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 13, 2009, 06:01:29 PM

Basically, switching to pro equipment might cost you as much as $1500, assuming you paid for the plugins and softwares. For me it might be a bit more, as nothing new fits in my computer mother board (basically, if I want a new video/sound card or more RAM, I have to change the entire mobo, which means I would have to change everything else in it too, as it would no longer fit.)

cost me £ 0 or converted to dollars it cost me $ 0 lol the days of having to mod your PC are long gone with ableton

you just have to know where to look :)

Not a Number

I think my PC could just cope with Ableton.. it's only got a disappointing 512MB RAM. (Hell, I've seen adverts for laptops that are powerful than this thing.. cheaper too T.T)

That said, Ableton's very much a consideration. How "limiting" is the free version compared to the versions I'd have to pay for? (with "pay" being hypothetical, what with the internet. ;))

sona38

Ableton Live for beginners: This weekend I'm going to have a couple of days where I get to play with someone's copy of Live, which looks like a very cool piece of software. I'm hoping to make the most of this chance but (a) the last time I made electronic music I programmed SID registers by hand in 6510 assembler in the 80s, and (b) don't know diddly about Live, oh yes, and (c) I don't know diddly about music, either. Is there a decent guide -- in print or online -- that would help me sit down in front of the thing and maybe plink out a couple of really awful songs?

.:DJ Droppin:.

Hello, Sona. Welcome to the Forum.

I would try checking YouTube for helpful tutorials. As far as other online guides I am unsure and sorry I could not be of more help.

Admin staff-
Rob
Bass is a force that defies the universe of logic, time, and space. http://www.reverbnation.com/djdroppin