So. Instrumentals.

Started by Not a Number, March 28, 2008, 10:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not a Number

Aside from the absence of lyrics, what do you say makes a good instrumental? I ask this because in some of my songs, I hope to create a guitar-type solo somewhere in each song. I'm even going one step further and creating one entire epic instrumental, a-là Dream Theater's "Stream of Consciousness" (search it on YouTube) and although I've written what section goes where, I haven't actually written the sections themselves.

Could anyone give me any pointers on how to create a good and listenable melody whilst at the same time making it last for a large amount of time without listeners wanting to switch over?

pillagemyvillage

hmmm i find that if you have a melody that lasts only 8 bars the best thing to do to stop it sounding samey is... change the bass throughout the track.
i have made tracks with only 8 bars of melody repeated from the breakdown to the end of the track. i change the bass in structure or key so the listener doesnt get bored...
you can also slightly change the odd note of the melody further on in your track just to freshen it up...
all music is made up the same... around 3/4 of the way through a pitch change on the melody or bass is introduced just to keep the listener interested...
however this is not something i find easy to do!
i will post a guide to music structure on here soon... (something i need to read also lol!)
so regardless of style (britney spears or tiesto) all music is made up of the same structure... (verse, bridge, chorus etc).
anyway i will try and post tips soon!!!  :lol:  

147 crew

Yeah I certainly need help on structure, as I just start pasting then add new stuff 'til I get bored or tired or both..I never have any idea of where my tune is going/ending/main part, anything really. I just make stuff