Filters, how do you use them?

Started by pillagemyvillage, August 04, 2008, 04:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pillagemyvillage

ok im starting up a topic about one of the hardest parts of the music series to master.
low pass, high pass and band pass filters - how do you use them?

can anybody help?

the only one that i use is low pass filter. i use it alot on melody samples in mtvmg2, heres how.

for the melody in '3am' and my new tune 'epic room' ive used low pass filter on the sample choral.
what i do is enter the sample editor and choose low pass filter. i then add 1 point.
i then select that point and drag to the bottom and to the left at around 6 or 7000.
i then ok it and place a choral note into the riff editor.
the sound now has a dip in it.
for some reason this dip gives the sample a more synthy edge when changing the offset.
also a synth pad can be created by changing the offset to the start of the 'dip'. with choral this sounds excellent and also with sweep.
i also apply to soft and funky keys which in turn seems to give a better sound as well as make it better to pan the offset when building up a melody.
if you check 'epic room' all of the melody samples have this low pass effect applied.
for some reason i find it sounds better.

but anyway thats all i know, if anybody knows how to use filters effectively let me know!
ive tried messing with the filters alot but either the sample sound dissapears or completely screws up!

DJ_Omnimaga

quite ironically I was gonna start a similar topic at one point XD

I never used MTVMG2 filters but I did with MTVMG1 for my song Destiny Knight and I never figured out what parameters does what, it's so different than PC sound editors or Music 3000. In Music 3000 and recent sound editors it's as simple as cutting off or reducing frequencies below or above a certain level (in Hz). Howver in Music 2000 it uses a lot more parameters I never got able to figure out. It seems so much like chineese for me x.x

iku

...let the music flow through your vains...