Don`t you just hate it when that happens?

Started by DarkBliss, May 22, 2008, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkBliss

So I`ve just spent around 4 hours on a new song, more or less finished, was quite different for me, using lots of acoustic guitar and synths in the vain of Joy Division. (I watched Control last night!)

Was just polishing it off, tweaking bits here and there, ready to post on here then BAM! My PS froze when I went in to the riff editor and I lost everything since I didn`t save it!

That`ll learn me!  >:(
"Way Out" - new album made with Ableton Live- 2012

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DarkBliss/117950634945435

DJ_Omnimaga

yeah i hated this when It happened. Even Music 2000 did that. The worst has to be MTVMG2 and 3000. I lost 6 hours of work on songs often because of this. THis is the main flaw with these programs. For some reasons it doesn't seems as bad on emulators though

Not a Number

As I'm only able to produce stereo sound on my emulator (unless I have two songs, one for the left speaker and one for the right, but that would be too complicated), I've noticed hardly any crashes as I did in the PSX version (or course, Sod's Law is going to play its turn any day soon having said that). I've thought about using savestates as it would allow me to have an "extra" set of songs without using a virtual memory card, though...

My pet hate in music production is lacking ideas/inspriation.

DJ_Omnimaga

true, save states are awesome, you dont need to wait so long to save huge songs

pillagemyvillage

man that is rubbish!  :'(
the main prob with mtvmg2 is the saving. you think its saved but then when loading next day bam!
it freezes! youve lost 6-7 hours of your life and a great tune too!
i remember music 2000 freezing on the riff editor alot. you just have to save after every decent riff you create!
as for music 3000... my god ive given up! just when you think you have the best tune youve ever made saved..... oh, its loaded corrupt! joy! its a shame because it has so much potential!
i feel mtvmg2 is the safest bet for me... doesnt crash as much! only 4 this year!

DJ_Omnimaga

i got a corrupted song in Music 2000 once, but that was the only time it happened. The song would load fine but IIRC one of the sample was wrong and some riffs using it had bad settings after loading

Not a Number

I'm having a bug in one of mine (which sucks because it's meant to be the first track):

I'm trying to make a riff sound stereo, so I duplicated the sample and changed the offset (well, I actually added a loop effect and cut-pasted the first 12 bytes to the end becaues it was a looping sample, and for some reason, changing the offset as normal would cease it to loop). And as normal, moved the original to the left speaker and the editted one to the right speaker. For some reason, I now get a simple looping tone on the right speaker after 1 beat (I've set the BPM at that section at 040, as it's an intro) but I open it in the riff editor and it plays as normal.

I think my best bet is to make the looping intro as its own song, and record that and merge it with the rest of the song (which'll be in its own file also) in Audacity. :-\

147 crew

Don't you just hate it when that happens, Yeah I hate it when the game crashes. Decided to change some samples in World Communication, more synths n stuff..since I found out more tricks in MUSIC2000. Had a sample with reverb/altered sample start/echo effect BLB. What I do 'til I get the right sound is just keep replacing the sample 'til I find one I like, I might've known with such an altered sample it was bound to crash. But me being me having learnt from previous experience, I saved just before it happened  :D

DJ_Omnimaga

yeah i hate when this happens. Crashes often happened when exiting the riff editor. SOmetimes it takes ages to load too, especially when using lot of effects and changing notes. In MTVMG2 I only had one crash though due to low memory, but for saving and loading i always save my song in a different file everytime i do it, because I heard about Pillagemyvillage songs being corrupted sometimes after saving

147 crew

yeah you load the tune and the samples have gone all weird, happened to me b4 too  >:(

DJ_Omnimaga

well i meant that on MTVMG2 pillagemyvillage had a song freeze the game when loading from memory card once. He had this happen with Music 3000 too if i remember. But yeah samples going all weird happened to me once in Music 2000, but it might have been the emulator fault or emulator save state corruption due to outdated memory card profile

147 crew

Happened again. Loaded up my latest groove with which I added reverb to loads of melodies n BASS. One of my BASS samples the note volume envelope had totally disapeared! Didn't notice until I recorded it with audacity then listened back..ARSE!  :D

DJ_Omnimaga

ouch x.x. I hate how data can corrupt sometimes. It seems to do that mostly when lot of notes with effects are present. At least in Music 2000 it doesn't freeze when loading the file though, so you only need to edit the song a bit

147 crew

yeah I blame you for telling me how to add reverb, now i'm sample changing crazy  :P

RyceBeetz

Quote from: Dark Bliss on May 22, 2008, 05:58:15 PM
So I`ve just spent around 4 hours on a new song, more or less finished, was quite different for me, using lots of acoustic guitar and synths in the vain of Joy Division. (I watched Control last night!)

Was just polishing it off, tweaking bits here and there, ready to post on here then BAM! My PS froze when I went in to the riff editor and I lost everything since I didn`t save it!

That`ll learn me!  >:(

OH MAN I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! it happened to me a few times....but its hard not to stop when you're on a roll!!!