Article about Music Creation on Consoles

Started by Chexd, August 05, 2008, 10:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chexd

Hello guys,

I have recently written an article about Music Creation on Consoles and about the rise and fall of its popularity.I have included a link to this site and I hope you don't mind. I thought you guys may be interested in in reading it and I am really amazed (and pleased) communities like this exist!

I used it in the quote:

QuoteFear not though if you (still for whatever reason) prefer console based creation. There are still a surprising number of active communities based around the MTV Music Series such as this one so what are you waiting for? Get music making!

The link to the article is here.

I used to love these games and always wondered how to get the files onto a PC. I have fond memories of Music 2000 on the PSone when I was younger and then MTV Music Generator 3 on the Xbox. Awesome game! I look forward to spending some more time here.

Chexd

DJ_Omnimaga

Wow this is an awesome article you have there :). I think that Music Generator 3 didn't helped in keeping these series alive though, not to mention poor marketting strategies for Music 3000 (and cancelled contest in 2004). Music Generator 3 was pretty limited compared to MG1/2 because it was more oriented toward remixing the songs alerady put in the program. It seemed like the franchise sold out to hiphop. Afterward I think the only music creation game that came out on Console was Ejay Clubworld 2. IIRC Cold Storage, the guy who made Music and MTVMG2, is  now working for the Ejay company. Also you can even add FL Studio, Cubase or Reason which were released for PC the years after and are all much more powerful than MTVMG, which probably killed the series even more. But I wish something like MTVMG1 came out on consoles again. People who don't have enough money to buy studio programs might like it, plus, FL Studio or such programs are a chore to use. It takes me 3 days to make a song in Magix Music Maker, which I could do, despite older style, in 3 hours in MTVMG1 or MTVMG3 and 6 hours in MTVMG2 or Music 3000

EDIT: On  a side note I am wondering if you actually knew of any other communities about MTVMG? I know a german one and a french section of the french video game forums but they are all dead. I also heard about consolemusicians or something, but it seems down

Not a Number

It'd be much better if a MTVMG1-esque program was released in 2008/9. :P

DJ_Omnimaga

true. SOmething like MTVMG1, but more samples, bring back the cd ripping ability (and increase the maximum ripped sample lenght or memory) that they removed in Music 3000 and MTVMG2 (wtf?), have some more effects like when a riff fades in have a filter that cut high passes higher and higher as the riff gets louder (if you get what I mean) or vice versa. Such stuff would be awesome. Maybe easier to understand tools to edit notes too, because even after 6 years I still can't figure out how to use the low/hi pass filter in Music 2000 sample editor. I have no idea what each parameters does, because they're completly different from any other music softwares I used

pillagemyvillage

well ive always said... bring out a new mtvmg but with music 3000 stereo samples and mtvmg interface (with maybe more channels and memory tho).

DJ_Omnimaga

yeah Music 3000 samples were awesome, but the reverb effects were mono. With MTVMG1 just with space reverb at 40 I can almost create a stereo effect like with my trick. Having samples stereo by themselves would be cool too, since the new MTVMG would most likely come out on Xbox 360 or PS3, which are far much more powerful.

On a good note it seems like Jester is still (barely?) alive. They got rid of the last update date on the front page, which only had one update since 2006, but they also put their forums back online after 2 years being down.

http://www.jesterinteractive.com/forums

They edited them and removed some sections. However as expected from last time I saw these, they are focusing on racing games only it seems now, altough there is still hope, since they still have a Music series sub forums. Also they deleted the Music 2002 Club Edition website section <.<

On Codemasters side it seems like they're focusing on other games too. Music series was even put in the back catalogue section on their forums.

On Mixmax side... well... lol... they only made MTVMG3 then their site shutted down (it barely had anything) and for XSGames, which published the american version of Music 3000, not much activity here either

Not a Number

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 06, 2008, 10:44:14 PM
true. SOmething like MTVMG1, but more samples, bring back the cd ripping ability (and increase the maximum ripped sample lenght or memory) that they removed in Music 3000 and MTVMG2 (wtf?), have some more effects like when a riff fades in have a filter that cut high passes higher and higher as the riff gets louder (if you get what I mean) or vice versa. Such stuff would be awesome. Maybe easier to understand tools to edit notes too, because even after 6 years I still can't figure out how to use the low/hi pass filter in Music 2000 sample editor. I have no idea what each parameters does, because they're completly different from any other music softwares I used
MTVMG4 that was much like Music 2000* I wouldn't mind, but the vast majority of music making programs are all sample/waveform based (Sonar, Magix to name a few). It would be nice just to have something riff based like Music 2000. OK, we've got FL Studio, which admittedly is riff based, but even then, it's way too complicated to get my head around, thus I stick with M2k. If a new program came out that had a similar interface to it, I'd buy it; even if there was a torrent crack. :P

(*or, someone could hack into it and fix all the bug in M2kPC)

DJ_Omnimaga

yeah true, and for example on Magix when inserting melodies or wav samples they won't snap to grid properly, meaning it's hard to get everything to sync well together. I prefer riff based stuff