They Crossed the Line

Started by J-MACHine, August 05, 2009, 02:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-MACHine

Whilst i wait for my adapter to arrive, i figure i'll give you a taste of the 4 most recent recordings i've made. All of them are Last.fm Links, that allow you to preview the track on the site, and they're up for a free download.

First up, possibly my finest work to date; They Crossed the Line.

http://www.last.fm/music/J-MACHine/Paradise+Line+OST/They+Crossed+the+Line+(Final+Boss+Battle+B+%5BEVE%5D)

And, sadly, one of two tracks from this 4 to be lost in a Memory Card Crash. To cut a long story short; I'd ordered a 8MB memory card, expecting it to be one with a button that allows you to change the 'levels' at will. I got shafted and was sent one without any button on it, nor any concivable way to change the 'levels', so i just rolled with it, saving what files i could on it and trying to work out just how to get the thing working. After some toying around, i hit a snag; the thing wouldn't work unless i formatted it. Meaning i lost everything. This was one of those songs.

Anyway, i'm side tracking. I tried to make this song sound sad, yet tense. Something that would tug at your emotions, yet pump you full of adrenaline at the same time. If you understood the context behind which i wanted to use this song, it would make sense, but for now, you're just going to have to trust me, Hahaha!

I tried mixing a few styles i'm good at working with. A Trip-Hop/Rock drumloop made to sound sampled, along with a flavour of some Alternative-Techno Melody/ Basslines, with a good old 4-on-the-floor kickdrum and some hi-hat licks. Some elements of the melody are also somewhat Ambient inspired.

Unfortunetely, some elements didn't record very well. Namely, the 'sampled' loop was a bit unclear as the result of applying Reverb, and i believe setting the volume to about 75. Both the Theramin Noise ('Scifi') and the Synth effect (A reversed "Sweet Square" mixed with a sample which has a name i've all but forgotten. It was a harsh synth noise) also came out quite bad. Shame, really.

Something i feel i should point out is that, these days, there isn't a song i work on that doesn't have at least one sample mixed with another. I enjoy giving my songs a slightly different feel as the result of mixing samples together.

All that's left to say is: Enjoy!
Fabulous Pony Eurotrance™