TIMGUL turns 1 year old and breaks the 1000 posts a month bar for the first time

Started by DJ Omnimaga, October 29, 2008, 02:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ_Omnimaga

It has been 4 years since MTV Music Generator 3, the last release in the Music Generator series, came out. On October 29th, 2007, despite the absence of any new release from Codemasters and Jester Interactive, The International Music Generator Users Lounge forums opened their doors anyway. After seeing an increasing amount of Music 2000/MTV Music Generator songs being posted on Youtube, the idea of a forum exclusively about this serie of music creation softwares released mostly on consoles came to mind, as it was a hard to find music made with these products through the entire web. At the time, there was only one Music 2000 discussion board online and it was in German and had load of downtime (and at one point, a virus). The question about discussion forums arose in Youtube comments and people recommended the opening of this website. Even a channel was created on Youtube.

The goal of TIMGUL was to regroup the Jester's/Codemasters' Music series community together, provide help and users contributed tutorials for possible new users of these programs and provide a section where people can upload or link to their music creations directly on the website so everyone can have a listen. Because there are many more professional tools avaliable for music producers now and because the Music Generator softwares were released years ago, we didn't expected a huge userbase. The estimate for the first year this site would run was a dozen of users, a total of around 1000 posts and about 100 house, drum & bass and ambient song uploads.

The website had a slow start and some troubles along the way, such as the hosting limitations causing songs over 6 MB to fail to upload and several hacking attempts until we switched from Invision Power Board 1.3.1 Final to Simple Machines Forums 1.1.x, but then it slowly became clear that the Music Generator community was still alive and kicking. Today, TIMGUL boards has 196 members, 5917 posts and 728 songs uploaded! It even came to the point where songs had to be split by genres (house/disco, techno/trance, UK hardcore, drum & bass/breakbeat, ambient/experimental/other, rap/hip hop and rock/metal) and there are still songs that haven't been sorted yet due to restricted amount of free time.

Ever since this website opened there was even a dramatic improvement in term of music quality made with these softwares, raising the bar higher and higher while still giving a chance to newcomers. Almost everything was uploaded, even death metal and hard trance, all made from softwares that many thought over a year ago that could only do generic house, rap and simple ambient songs. There have been a lot of help provided to new people and tutorials being posted as well and lot of good discussion about other things. There were even 4 mixes of songs posted in the news section, using the best TIMGUL electronic dance music.

So today, October 29th, 2008, marks the first anniversary of http://www.mtv-music-generator.com website, which has done nothing but increase in terms of activity. Very soon, to celebrate this and to also celebrate the Jester's/Codemasters' Music series 10th anniversary, the first software having been released on October 31th 1998 in Europe, a 5th TIMGUL Rave Mix will be released soon and a Music Generator 10th Anniversary video will be posted on Youtube. An old skool freeware video game, an action-RPG contributed by both TIMGUL and Omnimaga, is also being produced, using TIMGUL videogame-style music for the soundtrack and most sound effects are made using Music 2000.

If you haven't checked the website in a while, make sure to check out again soon if you want updates and if you know other Music Generator users, feel free to let them know about TIMGUL: The International Music Generator Users Lounge!

UPDATE: As for October 31st morning, for the first time ever, TIMGUL broke the 1000 posts bar in one month bar. The previous record was set in June with 773 posts. Hit count also reached 40000 in October for the first time (except the hacking attempt in January). Thank you all for contributing!

I Chameleon

Happy 10th Birthday.  I've got know this software so well it's like an old friend.  I tend to use Acid Pro and Reason these days but time and again I return to Music 2000 to squeeze just that extra little bit of pleasure.

Here's to the next twenty years!!  btw anyone got a spare back up I can use when my laser has burned my original away?

Casper AudioGhost

i am proud to be a contributing member of this forum and proud to be associated with all of u,and a user ofwhat has to be the most underrated software of all time,congrats omin on this anniversery     casper
RIP Marna Patterson (1947-2009) i love you mom,my music is for you:)
my net label http://www.archive.org/details/white-trash-poptronica
www.showcaseyourmusic.com/audioghost 57 tracks
www.myspace.com/audioghost
www.jamwave.com/audioghost
www.youtube.com/casperr37
dj on http://chat.paltalk.com/g2/paltalk/1352831106

Gypsum23

Congratulations!

Quote from: audioghost on October 29, 2008, 05:17:18 PM
i am proud to be a contributing member of this forum and proud to be associated with all of u,and a user ofwhat has to be the most underrated software of all time,congrats omin on this anniversery     casper

I couldn't put it better

DarkBliss

I`m also proud to be a part of TIMGUL, you guys are great and the music just keeps on getting better and better...let`s all keep up the good work!  ;)
"Way Out" - new album made with Ableton Live- 2012

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DarkBliss/117950634945435

DJ_Omnimaga

true the series were really underrated. Some reviews were pretty good from game websites for a music program and originality wise, but the demo songs included with the old Music programs, despite some being good to listening for some people, are questionable quality when compared to most TIMGUL songs. Back when MTVMG3 came out everyone thought the max that could be done on Music 2000 was the demo songs so people thought the softwares sucked. MY only complaint about these 10 softwares is that Jester Interactive didn't seemed too fond of beta-testing

Not a Number

Happy birthday TIMGUL. Whilst the MUSIC series is far from perfect, it's still the one I'd go back to.

JCW

pillagemyvillage

bloody hell, its been a year already!?
well, happy birthday timgul - forever in my heart!!!  ;D