Astoridium

Started by KalsolarUK, January 25, 2008, 11:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KalsolarUK

This was the first tune I made using MTV MG2 and is quite a mix of library riffs and my own work. Making this helped me get a feel for the program although in truth I do prefer the earlier versions of music generator.

DJ_Omnimaga

mhmm cool, I assume that to make the blipping effect go from high to low you used note offset changing, right? I still need to experiment with this because I didn't tried with a lot of samples yet

spacekid890

I like this loads it reminds of the orb and k.l.f.
Nice one :D  

KalsolarUK

If I remember correctly I used a blippy riff from the selections and just modified it in whatever way to fit and work with the tune. Offset note changing is quite a painful process (well it is when I do it anyway, lol).  

pillagemyvillage

YES! another mtvmg2 user!  :D
nicely made track i like the way you construct your music.
i guess its quite the debate on here... music 2000... better than mtvmg2?
i think its pretty even. its hard to adjust to mtvmg2 after years of using music2000 but ive adjusted pretty well now so i love it! keep up the good work with mtvmg2!  

KalsolarUK

thanks for the comments, my biggest gripe with MTV MG2 was really that some of really useful note changing features, were removed for no apparent reason. How do you get around it if you need to?

pillagemyvillage

well... obviously the note pan, pitch volumes etc are still there. but if you want an echo effect similar to ML4 (echo note effect from music 2000) you have to input the echo yourself (place notes and decrease the volume of each until it fades out).
this is frustrating when making a big riff as it is very time consuming to put echo on each note manually.
so yes he note effects are a big miss...
but everything else is there from music 2000.
i find reversing and cutting up samples is effective for finding different sounds. also low pass filters etc. used properly, can create some awesome sounds.
i use pretty much the same samples i used to use on music 2000 but just experiment and find the right sound by cutting up the sample etc.
also mtvmg2, being on a ps2, has lots more memory and a crisper sound so be adventurous!!  :)  

DJ_Omnimaga

I personally disliked the notes effects when I had many samples playing at once, because lot of the effects were not played at all or sounded like crap because of Music 2000 glitches so i used Pillage my village trick

pillagemyvillage

yeah when the note effects worked they were awesome. but then sometimes they dont work which is annoying. if they worked correctly all the time i would use an effect on every sample!
at least music 2000 does not have probs with playback in regards to playing the whole tune (without note effects). with mtvmg2 if you paste loads of riffs and use pretty much all of the channels when playing back about half the riffs are missed!
this is a problem when building up a breakdown and the main tune kicks in.
you have to delete alot of percussion in order for the bass and melody to play as wanted. so with percussion deleted sometimes a tune can lack a bit of umpth!
this always happens if playing alot of complex riffs! at least music 2000 never missed a riff! (unless it had some note effects in it!)

KalsolarUK

Thanks for the advice there, and as you say MTV MG2 does have the added bonus of much more memory because of it being made for PS2. That can be a frustration with Music2000. I agree with what you say that on occasion some of the note effects would'nt play in the tune properly, so yes, its kind of six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I still havent really used Music3000 despite having owned it for ages. I should give that a go too really.

Thanks again!

pillagemyvillage

yeah music 3000 is good. it does have problems with play back though. it also lacks the simplicity of music 2000.
using mtvmg2 after years of using music 2000 is tough and its the same with music 3000. if you stick with it though you can make some great sounds as it does have some brilliant samples to use!
whats needed is music 3000 samples with music 2000 controls and interface!  :lol:  

DJ_Omnimaga

and memory so we can use more modified samples and mostly samples at 44 KHz

trance-man

I cant till I get my one of MG2  :)  
dont look to the left
dont look to the right
just follow that sraight old line