Determination from Sorrow

Started by J-MACHine, December 21, 2009, 04:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-MACHine

The first of 3 tracks done for a fangame being developed based on the Mother/Earthbound series, Mother 3.5, which you can read about here: http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Fan/Games/Morther-3-5
Do it, it is DEFINETLY worth your time!

This... Well, i don't want to blow my own horn, but i reckon this is probebly the best peice i've done in a very, very long time. Whilst i won't lie it can be very, VERY overrated (ESPECIALLY if your games name contains the words 'Final' and 'Fantasy'), i love me some dramatic orchestral music. Especially in videogames. It is done a LITTLE to often in some games, but quite a few get the balance just right. One such game is Mother 3, the game in which Mother 3.5 is (oobviously) a continuation of, so i felt it was only right that i do a few orchestral peices for the game. That, and that was my briefing for this track.
This song plays for one of the bosses around about halfway through the game. Just before you fight this boss, it... Well, let's just say it "cuts something short" for one of the cast members. And the combination of HOW that "cutting short" is done and to which cast member makes it an absolutely painful player punch. Which only makes me love the direction of Mother 3.5 in a platonic fashion even more, because it's something i would have done myself. >D
In any case, he wanted a peice that combined feelings of pure horror and heart-wrenching sorrow. I like to think i delivered it in spades. I'm so insanely proud of this it's not even funny, especially as the only element that isn't acoustic is the synth sample which, if i remember right, is a combination of Kraft String and Sweet Square. I know it definetly featured the latter.
My only regrets? that the "Terror" movement (the part that comes after the Organ + Synth only section) wasn't more "Powerful" (I wouldn't have been happy with anything else i tried unless i added more strings. And by this point i was capping the memory limit), and that i had access to better Cymbal and Bell samples. But, hey, beggers can't be chosers.

Enjoy!
Fabulous Pony Eurotrance™